Friday, July 20, 2012

Scribble.nu

Ok, out of curiosity from my reminiscing about blogging days on one of the first journal sites to ever exist, I did what many of us do.... I googled...

A note from the original owner: (I double checked and the domain name is now some site in German about Backgammon or something?)

scribble.nu
"One of the first journal / blog services on the Internet. Became insanely popular at the time, serving almost 100,000 users before it imploded from its success. I spent literally hundreds of hours tweaking our strained servers (two of them: one web server, one database server) to support an ever increasing load. I still receive hate mail occasionally wondering why I had to take this service off line. When you have to decide between paying your server bills or your rent, something has to give. Somewhere I still have all of the scribble.nu code and databases; I should get it back online for nostalgia."  Taken from http://dustin.io/things-i-did/

My "writing hate email" face. Photo: Surreal Sister 2012

I totally would have sent this guy hate mail over my lost entries years ago, but remembering at the time I was a senior in high school and most of it was about boys and school, I am sure I would only be embarrassed by revisiting them. Maybe scribble.nu did me a favor... I look forward to getting more accommodated with blogspot and having faith that they most likely won't be going anywhere anytime soon.



3 comments:

  1. I came across this entry randomly through the same curiosity and googling...
    I used to have a Scribble.nu account too, also an embarrassing diary I should probably be grateful to forget the contents of... I actually did send him some hate mail at the time, haha. Basically I complained about us losing all of that precious content and how inconsiderate he was to take it off the web. I remember he wrote back kind of angry saying the bit about having to choose between this site and paying his apartment rent. I felt really guilty afterwards and wrote him an apology email. Hah! :S

    -
    Brittanie - http://beyourpet.com/diary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! That is awesome Brittanie! Glad there's someone else out there that feels the same way about it. I would love to see him publish all the hate mail he must've got. That would be an awesome read! haha

      It's good to see he's moved on though and looks like he has used his skills wisely online and been able to do pretty well for himself. :) And yes thank GOD my entries no longer exist! lol

      Delete
  2. Man, hearing it was one of the firsts makes me feel old. I was right there with you guys. Embarrassing entries I'm sure...but as I'm still blogging I would LOVE to look through all my early work.

    ReplyDelete